30 September 2009
29 September 2009
28 September 2009
26 September 2009
25 September 2009
24 September 2009
After watching Sunday’s Mad Men where Peggy masterfully fainted into Pete’s spindly arms, I pondered on the lost art of fainting. My only experience with fainting occurred in my awkward teenage years and thankfully the Milwaukee back brace I had to wear broke my fall onto a coffee table where a small elephant figurine could have done some serious damage. Never mind all that. Here’s what I’ve gleaned from watching way too many old movies.
- Only faint, near handsome men (Don Draper is perfect. Pete not so much).
- Wear long flowing gowns so they billow out for dramatic effect.
- Always keep smelling salts in your handbag, as well as a fashionable flask.
- When you come to, batt your eyelashes and mutter something in French.
- Reasons to faint: blood, monsters, ghosts, shady figures returning from your past, ugly couch patterns, in short anything “unthinkable”. If you’re very rich, you can get away with fainting for no reason at all. Sometimes it just looks nice.
This is a picture of Fay Wray fainting fabulously!
23 September 2009
“I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds….Now, the dining room. I'd like yellow. Not just yellow; a very gay yellow. Something bright and sunshine-y. I tell you, Mr. PeDelford, if you'll send one of your men to the grocer for a pound of their best butter, and match that exactly, you can't go wrong!“-Excerpt From Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
22 September 2009
21 September 2009
20 September 2009
19 September 2009
18 September 2009
17 September 2009
16 September 2009
- Carry a great bag. Let your purse speak for you. Let it be your voice.
- Wear hard to find perfume. Smelling like everyone else is the death of fabulousness.
- Always have on something that dangles, be it a scarf, pair of earrings or bracelet.
- Toss out witty catchphrases. It’s easier than flirting.
- Whistle or hum a German lieder (art song), but only if you have perfect pitch.
- Call everyone baby, sugar or darling. If you’re not from the south, tread with caution on this one.
- If you have a sexy scar, tell everyone a different ridiculous story as to its origins. If/when people compare notes, it will add to your air of mystery. My brother had people thinking he was bitten by a shark. So fabulous.
- Be totally open about your guilty pleasures. For example, “This weekend, I watched eight hours of made for television movies on Lifetime, ate a bag of Twizzlers, Googled myself and passed out.“ This makes you a “real” person, even though you’re fabulous.
- Lie like a rug on Facebook. Never moan, groan or gripe. Never reveal what’s really going on to the ragtag assortment of neighbors, coworkers, and former classmates. Fabulous people don’t say things like “I hate Mondays” and fabulous people don’t “like this” when other people say such nonsense.
- When in doubt, ask yourself, “What would Holly Golightly do (WWHGD)?” She was the ultimate faker of fabulous!
15 September 2009
14 September 2009
13 September 2009
At the tender age of nine, Mad Men's Sally Draper has mixed cocktails for Mom and Dad, gotten drunk, smoked cigarettes, stolen money, and driven a car. Kiernan Shipka, the actress who portrays her, has hit the motherload of interesting material. What makes her performance all the more pointed is a newfound lisp that makes her sound like a Peanuts character. I’m so looking forward to what comes next. Given her checkered past, the time period, Mom and Dad’s rocky relationship, and the excessive dance lessons, I think we all know where little Sally is headed…a street called Haight.
12 September 2009
11 September 2009
10 September 2009
- Havana Hi Balls and Cha Cha Lessons at KATE SPADE
- Limited Edition Camo Tote at TORY BURCH (gift with purchase)
- Mingling with Jonathan Adler, Narciso Rodriguez and the Olsen Twins at BARNEYS
- Champagne at CALYPSO
- Hand massages and palm readings at CRABTREE & EVELYN
Click here for the insane amount of fabulousness. I’ll be routing for the fashion lovers in New York City and all the other participating cities, while watching Project Runway.
09 September 2009
- Treat everyone with kindness
- Always have Kleenex and scotch tape
- Exercise caution when driving over bridges
- Eat carrots, they make you pretty
- Write thank you notes
- Smell great
- Own a good iron
- Floss your teeth, you’ll live longer
- Laugh so hard you tinkle
08 September 2009
07 September 2009
06 September 2009
05 September 2009
04 September 2009
03 September 2009
“The first-ever showcase of 300 rich black and white Séeberger images, this luxe collection is a must-have for fashionistas, Francophiles, and vintage clothing enthusiasts. Elegance recalls a bygone era of glamour, and illuminates the candid beginnings of a now highly stylized photographic form.“– Chronicle Books Online